Thursday, November 14, 2013

There Once Was a Man from the U.S. A.: 50 State Limericks by Joshua Kraushar Illustrated by Victoria Rose Weiss

There Once Was a Man from the U.S. A.: 50 State Limericks by Joshua Kraushar and Illustrated by Victoria Rose Weiss
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

There once was a man who use to be a teacher
He tried to write a new creature
There was no rhythm to his rhyme
This book was a waste of time
I hope its not a double feature.


     All kidding aside, I requested the early review copy of this book because I thought it would be a fun way to teach my kids about the 50 different states. Much to my disappointment, this was not the case. Other than the names of the states in alphabetical order, this book has nothing to do with any of states themselves, with the exceptions of maybe Tennessee and Montana. It would have been one thing if the limericks were witty or funny, but since the author had a hard time rhyming the names of the different states with other words, the overall intended rhythm of all the poems was thrown off, making them really hard to read. On top of that, some of the limericks were vulgar and inappropriate for younger readers. The illustrations were decent, but there needed to be more of them; the blank pages were really distracting. I would not recommend this book to anyone. It is certainly is not educational or funny and, therefore, not worth the read.

Edit: On further examination I realized that this book has to be read with a New York accent to be funny try that and you mite like it better.
I received this book as an early review copy for my honest review and I have given it. The opinions expressed herein are my own.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment